Top Bar Menu

Find Housing Assistance

Depending on your circumstances, you may qualify for state or federal rental assistance to help you pay back rent to stay in your existing housing or help you with move-in costs to secure new housing. Below are some programs that may be able to help you find rental assistance in Massachusetts.


HomeBASE assists low-income families with dependent children who are at immediate risk of entering shelter. This program can help eligible families pay back rent to keep their housing or to pay first/last month’s rent and security deposits to secure new housing.

To obtain this assistance you must be approved by the DHCD Homeless Coordinator at the local Department of Transitional Assistance office, which is located at 280 Merrimack Street, 2nd floor, Lawrence, MA 01840; (978) 725-7100. After you are approved, you will be assigned an Emmaus HomeBASE case manager to help complete the application process.

Housing Opportunities for People with AIDS (HOPWA)

HOPWA assists eligible individuals to pay the upfront move in costs to secure new housing or cover rent or utility arrearages to stay in their current housing. The program can assist people with HIV/AIDS who are living alone or with family members.

Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG)

The ESG program helps homeless individuals staying in a shelter or on the street move into new housing. ESG can provide assistance with move-in costs as well as time-limited rental stipends to help you secure a new apartment and stay housed while you look for employment or take other steps to afford housing once the stipend ends.

Residential Assistance to Families in Transition (RAFT)

RAFT is a homelessness prevention program that gives short-term financial help to low-income families who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. RAFT can help families pay for back rent or utility charges to stay where they are or help them pay start-up costs to move into new housing.

For more information on these and other housing resources, contact the Emmaus Housing Department at (972) 241-3557.